Monday, November 15, 2010

This will be my last full week in Lithuania

 

Sweet Week


My shoes: 
I went through a couple pairs, 
two weeks ago

Last week was absolutely amazing. Everything was just clicking. Even with all the distractions of registering for classes and whatnot, we were able to get so much done. It all started with district meeting. It was a great spiritual feast for all of us. I spent the entire time trying to get the other missionaries to find their inner conviction as to why they are truly here. Because with all the exchanges and preparation days and meals to cook and things to see and words to memorize and everything it is vary easy to miss the point that we are here to bring others to Christ. Everything else is but an appendage to that. We eat so we can have energy to work. We sleep so we can work. We learn to speak Lithuanian not to speak but to have another tool to touch these peoples hearts and make it easier to feel the spirit which converts people. Everything is centered around the true purpose. This is a principal I want to bring home. I am not going to school just to go to school. I dont go to church to go to church. I don't obey the commandments just for the fun of it. All these things are tools and mediums God has given us to reach our highest purpose, Eternal Life. That is the reason for everything. Without that end then everything leading up to it is in vain. That end, which is not an end, is the reason I get up in the morning. 
Keep that in mind. 


By the church at district conference with Vlanetinas and his family. 
It's the last time i will see them for a while...

Now, after that We set a goal as a district for 7 new investigators. 
It was shooting high because the week before we had gotten only one as an entire district. But I knew that if we recommitted ourselves then miracles would happen. Elder Graham and I were focused and diligent. If you dont know what a new investigator is, see: *Preach My Gospel- pg 1  . . . a person who "is searching for purpose in life.  They are concerned for their families.  They need a sense of belonging that comes from the knowledge that they are children of God, members of His eternal family. They want to feel secure in a world of changing values.  They want "peace in this world and eternal life in the world to come" d&c 59 : 23, but they are "kept from the truth because they know not where to find it" d&c 123 : 12". 
We share our testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Ghost.  Our purpose as missionaries is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them learn & receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end which is the only way we can find eternal happiness.  If they want to learn more We set up a time to meet with them again.
Our district had a slow start in the week but it picked up. We started finding new investigators. Every time a new investigator was found, I called the district. We started to see the miracles of faith. By the end of the week we had found 12 new investigators as a district. Elder Graham and I had not only found 8 as a companionship but we committed one of them to be Baptized and he accepted for Jan 1st . It was quite an experience. 
I feel so effective as a missionary right now. 

Yesterday I gave my final talk in our branch. I will still be here next week but this was when they had me speak. Its bittersweet as you can imagine. But this week is going to be awesome. It will be my final full week here and i want it to be full. Tonight we are all going to Vilnius for an early zone conference on Tuesday. 
Elder Schwitzer from the 70 will be leading zone conference. It should be quite the experience. 
Inga and her family in Siauliai


 

Dainus is still doing very well. He is still good to go on the 27th but we want to make sure he is good and prepared before that. 
I think he   could very well make it by that date. I am excited for him.

Our sweet pumkin we carved for Halloween. The symbol is an old symbol of Lithuania

A building in Kaunas that makes me feel like I live in Transylvania






The work is going. I am going. 
I guess next week will be the last email you write to me out here. 
I cant believe its already getting down to the nitty gritty. 
Well, third round third mile!

Love you,
Elder Cooke


 

No comments: