Monday, October 18, 2010

Letter from the field October 18, 2010

Well, The last transfer call came and went. I am still in Kaunas, Lithuania. I am not, however serving with Elder Manning. I am serving with Elder Graham again! Elder Manning has gone to Klaipeda and I am training Elder Graham as the new Zone Leader. I will be the district leader in Kaunas for this last transfer. Elder Graham is doing great. It is really fun to see how much he has changed since I was with him in his second transfer about 10 months ago. He has just grown so much. I have had such a good opportunity to see so many missionaries change in so many good ways. I am glad I still have some more time to get some more changing in myself. I have seen a lot of great improvements in myself but I still have so much to change.
   Speaking of change, It seems like everything is going to be different when I get back. People are getting pregnant, getting married, joining the army, getting bowl cuts. It just seems like It going to be a shock- so many changes. The pictures are enough to blow my mind. 
   Conference was awesome!!!!! I can't believe how much I Iearned. I am so grateful that we have the opportunity to listen to such inspired men. LISTEN and then change. President Hinkley stated at the end of a conference session that if people go home and are closer to Christ then the conference was a great success. If not,however, then the speakers have in a large measure failed. (slightly paraphrased) True statement. The point of conference is for the perfecting of the saints and the building of Gods kingdom. Same with all other conferences. I will pray for Dad so that he will know what should be said so the people that listen will know that the are supposed to do something, not just listen. I can be the best speaker of Lithuanian in the world but if nothing changes because of it, then it what is it for? We must desire change. In ourselves and, with respect to free agency, in others. We can can have faith that if we are faithful then that change will happen.
   Here is a cool miracle. Elder Manning and I one day were flipping through the area book. He stopped on name of a man who was taught the year before. He had a strong feeling that we should call him. I called him and invited him to church. He came. We met with him a week later in his home and I committed him to baptism. He accepted and is set to be baptised on November 13. He lives in the other elders area so they will be teaching him now. I hope all that works out. Way nice man and family.
   Today we are having training for 3 days in Riga. We arrived late last night and will be leaving on Wednesday. It should be the last time I come here until the end. I am excited for the training. Lots of new ideas for teaching. I love teaching. Right now we are a little skim on good solid investigators. We are teaching people but they need to keep commitments. That man with the baptismal date is good but we aren't teaching him anymore. I want to find some more people. I know that there is still somebody I need to find. Pray for that if anything. Thank you so much for your prayers. 
   I hope Sadie does well at state. I am glad she was committed to go to the game and not to the wedding. I know that once I wanted to go to Kyle's state wrestling tourney his senior year but I had a B-ball game. I told Dad I didn't want to go the the B-ball game but he told me I had made a commitment and I needed to finish what I committed to do. We got handled in the basketball game and I was not very happy but I learned a good lesson. Finish things you start. Thank you all for all the lessons you have all taught me. I love you all.
 
 
Elder Cooke 

No comments: