Thursday, July 9, 2009

The City of Dreams




Well...I didn't see it coming but I got transfered. I am now in a city called Saulai (Show-Lay) It is the smallest of all the cities open to missionaries here in Lithuania.
I am serving with Elder Fitzgerald. He is absolutly awesome. He was my district leader in Vilnius and I absolutely love him. He is from an island in Alaska. His family are all crazy fishermen. I totally have a hookup in Alaska now! But (more importantly) he is an awesome missionary.

Couple of interesting things.

1. We are being "whitewashed" (my second time and his sixth time) So neither of us have been in this city before and have no idea about anything. The least amount of Elders come here so not very many Elders know much about this city right now in the mission.

2. Two sister's just went home from our mission. So that means we only have six in Lithuania. That also means they just took sisters out of Saulai. Right now my district is my companionship and one other companionship of Elders. (Elder Mcnevin and Elder Neilson, both awesome) Elder Mcnevin is the first councilor and Elder Neilson is the District leader.

Saulai is an interesting place. I was way sad to leave Klaipeda and her members but I know this is where i am meant to be right now. It was even harder because the night before I found out I was leaving our investigator Robertas accepted the commitment to babtisim. Missionaries have been trying for a while and he is finally ready to make that commitment. I am so happy for him. He came to see me before I left. He is one of the most amazing men I have ever met. I dont know if I accomplished anything in Klaipeda but if it was all just to help him, then it was worth it.
Its going to be tough work here especialy considering we are starting from absolute zero as far as investigators go. I am way excited to get to work here. It is going to be a language push because the people here speak a bit different here. They speak VERY fast with a ton of energy. In the other cities they refered to it as sauletiskai, which basicly means its thier own little dialect. The branch here experienced some shock last week with some member drama and that seems to be a regular occurance. Everybody says here that missionarys either go to Saulai because they have charity or becasue they need to learn it. I just go where I am told and work so I guess we will figure out later if I have charity or not. In the meantime I am just going to put my sholder to that good ol' wheel here in "The City of Dreams" or "The City of the Son"
But We have a lot to do today so I wont get a chance to write other people who wrote me. I will try next week. I love you all

Vyresnysis Kukas


ps: here is my adress

Vyresnysis Kukas
A/d 56
Lt-76001 Saulai
Lithuania


I used a little $ to buy a nice Book of Mormon for Robertas.
If you do ever send me something dont forget the history of the Catholic church, the Russian Orthodox and the Jahovas Witness. The Jahovas witnesses have thier center for the Baltics here in Saulai and their massive church is 20 feet away from our church here.

Love you

No comments: