Wednesday, January 28, 2009

First Letter from Vilnius Latvia

WEll im here!!!
Its the end of my first week in the field and i will tell you right now it is nothing like i had in my mind. We all made it here ok but one of our sisters lost a luggage bag and and I lost my sidebag in a taxi. I was upset because it had all these things in it that i needed but then I kept finding them in other bags \. For some reason I took all the things that were really important out of it right before I lost it. They are trying to track it down but im not making a big deal out of it. The only thing of real worth in there were my lithuainian bible and book of Mormon. Both of with is easy to replace and I hadent marked anything in then yet. So if anything Somebody found the word of god. :)
Sorry im a little rushed to day we had apointments this morning and we have one at 6 so i have to hurry. But dont think that everybody here wants to get baptised...our appointments this morning stood us up and we the one tonight has stood us up once already. I was more than happy to scedual our appointments this morning on P day becasue its kind of important to take every opportunity you can get here.
Ok so now about some things I didnt know about Lithuaina.-The people here are very sad. Nobody smiles and they are very angry at people trying to share the word of God. It makes no sence to me. It might have something to do with the fact that I havent seen the sun in 8 days, (or even the sky...seriously, i havent) or the fact that Russia was here for a long time and did some major scaring to this place. 95 percent of people here are Catholic but the second we say Jesus Christ they get very busy or very angry. Its hard but I know I am doing everything I can and thats all the Lord asks.
The language is difficult. I spoke in church on Sunday and I hope I didnt make to much of a fool out of myself. I felt confident but who knows what I actualy said. I have had many blank stares on my face as I have tried to talk to people by myself on the street. I have been trying to go off on my own as much as possible and it is really helping, But when people talk it sounds like one big long word and they are talking through a trash bag.
My trainor's name is Elder Young. He is awesome. He is really helping my and and we are way alike. WE get along great and he is a great teacher. He witnessed that baptisim you saw a picture of. Luckily he didnt have to get in the water because it was frozen! :) how cool is that. Wish I could have done that. WE will see... :)
So I am serving in Vilnius, the capital. Its way neat. Its a bit different from american cities but I am trying to adjust. So more about RUssia. Russia destroyed everybody's homes and put in these things called domes. The are very tall ugly scary apartment buildings that everybody lives in. Its is good for harvesting (trackting) becasue you can hit hundreds of people very quickly and at least to this point only teach 1 lesson. But we will press on! I will have to tell you more about it next week, just to let you know anybody in our immediate family can email me and i can email them back. but here is my address.
A\D 3438LT-01011
Vilnius
Lietuva
Well I love you all so much I will have more time next week I hope. I am praying for all of you.
Myliu
Vyresnysis Kukas

No comments: